Sunday, August 8, 2010

STRETCHING YOUR SHOPPING MONEY IN SHENZHEN




A Pleasure to Shop in Shenzhen


I would never have written six editions of Shop in Shenzhen if I didn't personally enjoy shopping at such a great discount. There are so many valuable practical things to buy among its 1000 + shops - you can not only shop for the whole family but furnish your home as well. I don't travel there regularly but when I go, I make sure to bring along a list that I have been adding to in between trips.



Quick Shenzhen Journey

A few days ago, I made a quick trip. I gathered all my documents: passport, ID card, customs form to fill out, a copy of my guideand my list of things to do and buy. It's sort of my job to keep track of any new developments. My main purpose this time was to try out a few clothes at the tailor's and at the same time, to try out a new tailor. I had a few other errands to do, and went off in the late afternoon. It's the best time of day as by then, the touters are feeling weary and won't be as persistent as they usually are throughout the da

Tailor Wang Jing Wai

This tailor shop is always very busy and popular among westerners. Stall # 19 is located at the far left end of the fabric market as you walk in. When the staff see a westerner approaching, their English speaking assistant immediately comes forward to help you. The shop has lots of catalogues and fashion magazines to choose designs from and staff have a very good sense of western styling. This time, I had clothes made for a friend in Switzerland and had some made for myself. Most of the clothes were made just as I had requested. Out of 20 pieces, perhaps one, a skirt, was a total loss. I consider these odds pretty good considering the very reasonable price one pays for tailoring in Shenzhen. I would readily recommend this tailor. In fact, she's already listed in my 2010 shopping guide under 'My Recommended Tailors' section, thanks to the many people who sent in their recommendations.

As always happens when you return to the tailor's, they asked me to return in two hours time to allow them to make the alterations. Because I'm always on the lookout for great shops to add to my book, I can always use the time to look around. However, like everyone else in the middle of a shopping Mecca like LCC, I rarely escape without doing at least some damage to my own pocketbook.



Optical Shop

I'd been looking for a pair of prescription sunglasses for a long time. As always, it's the frame that I couldn't find. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted but just couldn't find it anywhere, until that day. I shopped around at the various optical shops and finally found what I was looking for. This optical shop occupies the corner of a stall in one of the jewellery bazaars. The shop is called Angie, shop 3368, stall A50. It's actually run by Angie and her husband. Both are professional and friendly. The husband is the optician so he does the eye test and selects the prescription. For a pair of progressive lenses, with sun protection, anti-scratch lenses, the cost was 1200 Reminbi - about one third of what I had paid in Hong Kong a few years before. So far, I'm thrilled with them.



Men's Tailor

While shopping around, I bumped into Tony, a tailor who had made a suit for a young gentleman who had visited us a few weeks back in Hong Kong. Tony is an excellent tailor. The young man brought along a copy of GQ Magazine which showed a photo of a smart business suit. Tony recommended a swatch of beautiful Italian wool for the suit and had it made up in record time. When we returned for the first fitting, it took a long time to figure out which alterations had to be done , But in the end, the suit fit perfectly. Our young friend was so pleased that he ordered a cashmere coat and had Tony sent it to him in New York. I was a bit worried about that one but he was thrilled with the coat when it arrived. Tony is at shop 5123.



Men's Designer Fashion Overruns

The quality of men's fashion at Lowu Commercial City really makes me jealous. You can tell the quality of the garment by the feel of the fabric. There are a number of excellent shops all around the mall. Some of these men's shops will even do alterations for you. Generally, men's fashion at this mall is of a higher quality than women's.

I strongly recommend that you order a copy of my book on my website, www.shopinshenzhen.com. There are so many valuable tips that will make your shopping journey super efficient.



Jewellery Bazaar

You can't visit Lowu Commercial City without dropping by the Jewellery Bazaar on the third floor. As you come out of the bubble lift, take a right and walk to the far end. It's truly a wonderful place to have jewellery made up. The big hall is lined with stalls in the centre and shops along the walls. While some shops sell only ready-made jewellery, others display strings and strings of semi-precious stones hung together from which you can create your own pieces. You can even bring your own pearls and have them re-strung. They don't charge for this but will do it for free if you're already buying something from them.



Eat Well at Lowu Commercial City

When you spend so many hours on your feet, it's good to know that you can sit down and have a great meal when you're ready to collapse. Laurel on the 5th floor is just what you need. It's the most popular Chinese restaurant in Lowu Commercial City and the best. Go early to make a booking before getting too caught up in your shopping.



Manicure and Pedicure

I stumbled into shop 3316 totally by accident. It's actually a beauty salon which also does manicure and pedicures. It looked and was clean and comfortable. They did a great job with my pedicure.

No comments: