Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Shopping in Shenzhen

I’ve just spent the most frustrating day in Shenzhen!

But I’ve forgotten that it’s always like this. There is just not enough time and not enough money to do a proper job at Lowu Commercial City. My goal was simple - just to have some clothes made. Most Shenzhen shoppers know that this is a process that starts at home as you plan your garments but the best part is looking for fabrics in the Fabric Market. The selection is mind-bogglingly beautiful. At this time of year, wools and cashmeres are everywhere and the colors are wonderful. The stunning range of soft fake fur fabrics makes you want more than you need. Stall holders often display a made-up jacket to give you an idea of how one of their fabrics looks like. It’s such a great idea if you have difficulty visualizing fabric on a finished garment. As usual, I split my clothes making between a few tailors. Everyone is hungry for business today so it’s my way of spreading the wealth! So after visiting John (a jacket), Cindy (some tops) and Helen (a dress), I met up with a friend for lunch at Laurel, the fantastic Chinese restaurant right next to the Fabric Market (Phew! Thank God I had reserved when I first arrived! So many people had lined up waiting for a table and had at least a one-hour wait.) By 2pm, we were ready to either go home (my original plan) or to look around. This time I was a shopper, not a book researcher with a deadline and it was so much fun! Lowu Commercial City is a Mecca – no doubt about it!. Every time I go, I discover something new. I also go back to the places I had previously researched and could finally enjoy, just for me this time.

The most noticeable change at Lowu Commercial City, compared to past years, is the growing number of original, highly discounted designer outlets selling garments and accessories. And there are just as many shops selling women’s fashion as there are selling men’s. In fact, most of the designer outlets for men are for casual clothes. They’re all over the mall and of course, some are much better than others. Even better, while prices were set in stone just a few weeks ago, shopkeepers are more flexible these days and are happy to negotiate. And oh yes, there’s even one shop, #291, that carries up to size US18-20!

I also came upon a great little shop (#2608) selling clothes made of bamboo! It feels like a very soft cotton. Their clothes are mainly underwear or yoga style tops and long pants – very simple cuts in pastel colors.



I really wanted to have jewelry made up but discovered that you can’t do this in a rush. It’s like having clothes made up. You must plan it before coming to Shenzhen and then spend a good deal of time in LCC looking for the ‘parts’. There seems to be a million little jewelers throughout the mall and some have excellent made-up jewelry as well. But there again, you need a little money and a lot of time!



My friend reminded me that we had earlier decided on a manicure and pedicure so we knew if we didn’t stop shopping right now, we’d go home disappointed with ourselves. My friend went home with gorgeous gelled nails. I was too busy chatting with her the whole time to realize that the attendant had cut my nails down to a sliver because of my one little nail that had broken off a few days before. Damn!



In the end, I think I blew it. Bad time management. There were so many potential gifts that I should have bought and didn't - slippers, shawls, earrings, great wallets,very cool woolen hats, a really cute painting and so many perfect and reasonably priced ideas. Mmmm, let's see, when can I come back...?

No comments: